The Friends of Avonhead Cemetery (“FoAC”) are a group of local volunteers who want to preserve all that we value about Avonhead Cemetery, from its historic significance to its beautiful natural setting and, above all, the Earthquake Memorial.
We were formed when the Avonhead Community Group (http://avonheadcommunitygroup.com) and the Christchurch City Council created a Memorandum of Understanding in September 2016 to allow local residents to participate in the preservation and enhancement of the Cemetery.
Since 10 April 2017, we are a registered charitable trust under the Charitable Trusts Act 2005. We operate as a Board of Trustees that meets regularly to discuss matters related to the Cemetery. We are also registered with the Companies Office since January 2017.
Among our past and current projects are:
- To commemorate the anniversaries of the 22 February 2011 earthquake with a “Lay a Flower” ceremony,
- To involve the community in the maintenance and upkeep of the Cemetery,
- To work with Council to identify issues in relation to the Cemetery and how we can resolve them,
- To create an ongoing database that archives the history of the Cemetery, improve the facade of the Cemetery,
- To improve the road signage for the Cemetery that makes it easier for visitors to find,
- To upgrade the Cemetery’s facade to make it look more cared for,
- To involve school children in the various Cemetery projects to help our future generations cherish the Cemetery as much as we do.
For more information about us, please visit the Charities website and search for us!